20 years. 240 months. 7,300 days. To say Pokemon has been around a long time is a bit of an understatement. Yet here we are, two decades later, still catching ‘em all. In celebration of the franchise’s milestone, we’re dedicating an entire episode of the Random Nintendo Podcast to all things Pokemon. We begin with a look at what’s ahead for the series, including theories about the newly announced Pokemon Sun & Moon, plus a brief detour to discuss a major Nintendo lineup leak. We then reflect on the 20 years that were, discussing what made Pokemon so successful and sharing our favorite memories of the franchise.
Our celebration doesn’t end there, though. We’re also extending it to you with a chance to win a $20 eShop credit! Leave a comment below telling us your favorite Pokemon memory (be it from the games, the show, a personal moment – anything goes!) and one lucky commenter will receive an eShop credit code worth $20. We’ll announce the winner in our next episode, so make sure to subscribe to us on iTunes and follow us on Twitter @RandomNintendo so you don’t miss it.
As always, we’ve included links below for more information on the news and games discussed in this episode. Each link also lists a time stamp so you can easily find the segments that most interest you. Enjoy!
- [0:01 - 0:15] Nintendo Direct – Pokemon Direct 2.26.16 (Nintendo.com)
- [0:02] Pokemon Sun and Moon Officially Announced (IGN)
- [0:15] Possible Leak That Nailed Pokemon Codename Also Lists NX For 2016 Release (Kotaku)
- [0:41] Drew Barrymore To Host Intimate Gathering Celebrating Pokémon Afternoon Soiree (GoNintendo)
- [0:50] Discussion: What We Want for Pokemon’s 20th Anniversary
- [0:58] Discussion: Our Favorite Pokemon Memories
- [1:40] Discussion: Our Top 6 Pokemon
- [0:02] Pokemon Sun and Moon (Pokemon.com Game Page)
- [0:35] Pokemon Red and Blue Versions (Pokemon.com Game Page)
- [0:35] Pokemon Bank (Official Site)
- [1:01] Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Versions (Pokemon.com Game Page)
Official Contest Rules: All registrants must be a resident of the United States of America and age 13 or older. The contest begins on March 6, 2016 at 12:00 AM PST and ends on March 17, 2016 at 11:59 PM PST. Visitors may only enter the contest once by leaving a comment below. Any additional entries that a given visitor makes will be disqualified. One (1) commenter will be chosen at random and receive the following prize: one (1) digital code redeemable for $20 in credit on the US Nintendo eShop. Random Nintendo staff members may not participate in this contest. Random Nintendo reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason. The winner will be chosen on March 18, 2016, announced in Episode 120 of the Random Nintendo Podcast, and then notified via email.