One-and-done games are so last generation. It’s 2016 and for Nintendo, it’s all about services – from Splatoon to Super Mario Maker, these are the games that continue to evolve beyond their initial purchase. And now, we can add Miitomo to the list. In this episode of the Random Nintendo Podcast, we share our impressions of how well the social app holds up after multiple weeks of play and what needs to change for its continued success. We also examine a variety of new rumors, including potential Zelda details and reports of service-style games like Splatoon and Mario Maker coming to NX. Plus, we discuss how Nintendo can boost waning amiibo interest, analyze March sales numbers, and revisit Mario Super Sluggers just in time for baseball season.
Are you still playing Miitomo? Tell us why or why not in the comments below and we may share it in our next episode. If you liked the show, consider leaving a review (and subscribing!) on iTunes and be sure to follow us on Twitter @RandomNintendo.
As always, we’ve included links below for more information on all the news, rumors, and games discussed in this episode. Each link also lists a time stamp so you can easily find the segments that most interest you. Enjoy!
- [0:07] RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development (NeoGAF)
- [0:11] Nintendo and Nickelodeon bring the next Splatfest to a pineapple under the sea (Nintendo.com)
- [0:23] Rumor – Zelda Wii U Also on NX, Character Options and More (GoNintendo)
- [0:25] Nintendo: Zelda Wii U is ‘like going from Japanese food to Western-style food’ (VentureBeat)
- [0:28] Display your amiibo beautifully with Nintendo’s excellent diorama kits (GamesRadar+)
- [0:30] What’s going on in Nintendo’s latest patent? (Nintendo Inquirier)
- [0:37] Feat Unlocked: One Million Copies of Shovel Knight Sold! (YachtClubGames.com)
- [0:48] March 2016 NPD: Ubisoft, Nintendo shake up sales chart with The Division, Zelda (VentureBeat)
- [1:04] Pokemon Movie Rights Bidding War as China’s Legendary Makes Big Play for Japanese Property (The Hollywood Reporter)
- [1:12] Discussion: Ace Attorney anime
- [1:20] Miitomo Has 4,000,000 Active Players And Makes $280,000 Per Week (My Nintendo News)
- [1:17] Miitomo (Official Site)
- [1:30] Mario Super Sluggers (Nintendo,com Game Page)
- [0:11] Splatoon (Offiical Site)
- [0:23] Legend of Zelda Wii U (IGN Game Page)
- [0:37] Shovel Knight (Official Site)
- [0:41] Runbow (Nintendo.com Game Page)