Episode 166: Switching Years

On December 24, 2017 by Jason Rechtman and Jose Angel Salado

As one year ends, another begins. In this episode of the Random Nintendo Pocast, we look both ahead and back with news of what’s to come in 2018 and impressions of last-minute 2017 releases Crawl, Mutant Mudds Collection, and the final ARMS update. We also reflect on the year that was, from the success of the Switch to Nintendo’s big wave of licensed merchandise, plus share our Game of the Year picks.

That’s not all, though! To help you start your new year off right, we’re also giving you a chance to win a Super NES Classic Edition! Simply leave a comment below telling us your favorite Nintendo ‘thing’ of 2017, be it a game, a moment, an event, or even just a bowl of Super Mario Cereal. We’ll share some of our favorites next episode and one lucky commenter will walk away with 21 classic SNES games, all in one tiny plastic package. To make sure you don’t miss it, follow us on Twitter @RandomNintendo and subscribe to us on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play Music, or your podcasting app of choice.

As always, we’ve included links below for more information on the news and games discussed in this episode. Each link also lists a timestamp to easily locate the segments that most interest you. Enjoy and see you in 2018!

Official Contest Rules: All registrants must be a resident of the United States of America and age 13 or older. The contest begins on December 24, 2017 at 12:00 AM PST and ends on January 6, 2018 at 11:59 PM PST. Visitors may only enter the contest once by leaving a comment below. Any additional entries that a given visitor makes will be disqualified. One (1) commenter will be chosen at the discretion of the Random Nintendo team and receive one (1) Super Nintendo Entertainment System; Super NES Classic Edition (MSRP $79.99). Random Nintendo reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason. The winner will be chosen at random on January 7, 2018, announced in Episode 167 of the Random Nintendo Podcast, and then notified via email.

21 Responses to “Episode 166: Switching Years”

• John Pywtorak wrote on December 25, 2017 at 11:20 pm:

My favorite Nintendo moment was the first four or so hours of Breath of the wild. When I completed the plateau it blew my mind. I couldn’t believe it was real. The game made me feel for its world, the animals, characters and princess. I spent hours rescuing my horse from a river. Because I cared about it as though it was real.

• Ryan Jones wrote on December 27, 2017 at 5:54 pm:

My favorite Nintendo moment is Star Fox 2 finally being available in US for the first time and it showed that Nintendo should have released the game years ago.

• Chris L wrote on December 27, 2017 at 8:34 pm:

My favorite Nintendo thing of 2017 was taking my nephew to get a tattoo for his birthday. He had tons of ideas for what he wanted, but decided against every one of them, eventually settling on getting a Triforce on his forearm.

• Frank Baugh wrote on December 27, 2017 at 11:30 pm:

The return of Mario cereal!

• Ervin wrote on December 28, 2017 at 12:34 am:

The release of Nintendo Switch!!!

• Bob M. wrote on December 28, 2017 at 2:48 am:

My Favorite thing was the release of Pokemon Crystal to the 3DS eShop, because it game me the chance to finish the game. I wasn’t able to finish the game back when it was on the GBA/GBA:SP because my brother let some hoodrats come into the house while I was visiting during the summer and one of said hoodrats stole my cartridge.

• David Son wrote on December 28, 2017 at 5:49 am:

My favorite moment was giving my brother in law my SNES Classic that I was saving for myself for Christmas. We went to a retro gaming convention and I’ve never seen him so happy looking at all the retro systems from back in our day; atari, genesis, nintendo, super nintendo. He would particularly stay glued to the super nintendo playing games like Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart. To see his joy this Christmas when he opened up to his own SNES Classic was a joy to see.

• Ex wrote on December 28, 2017 at 5:55 pm:

w00t! My brother’s favorite game is Super Mario World! Will be fun to play 🙂

• Ex wrote on December 28, 2017 at 5:56 pm:

*err my favorite moment is first time I played Super Mario World back as a kid at my neighbor’s house!

• peterkoz wrote on December 28, 2017 at 8:29 pm:

When i got my switch and realized just how often i use it on the go vs at home as a console

• David wrote on December 28, 2017 at 11:37 pm:

Zelda on the N64… freakin amazing for its time.

• Jently wrote on December 29, 2017 at 3:01 am:

Realizing the “L” stands for winner.

• Matt C wrote on December 29, 2017 at 7:25 am:

My fav Nintendo moment was finishing Super Mario World for the first time.

• Jaclyn Reynolds wrote on December 29, 2017 at 8:24 am:

Favorite moment has enjoying the switch!

• Paul Bloyd wrote on December 29, 2017 at 10:31 am:

The moment I realized I could play a Zelda game while soaking in the tub. Just don’t drop it.

• Josh wrote on December 31, 2017 at 10:56 am:

My favorite moment was jumping off of the Great Plateau for the first time in BOTW. I was amazed when I realized how large the game map actually was and how you had the freedom to go in any direction. Thanks for the great podcast, here’s to another great year. Thanks!

• Tsukiyomi wrote on January 2, 2018 at 8:12 am:

Seeing Mega Mn X acknowledged on the SNES classic still loe that game.

• Krawzorz wrote on January 2, 2018 at 11:01 am:

Favorite Nintendo moment was DOOM. First the announcement and then finally playing it on the go!

• Beto wrote on January 5, 2018 at 9:02 pm:

My favorite Nintendo “thing” of 2017 would be the memes related to the Switch and its games.

• Carvajal Joanne wrote on January 5, 2018 at 9:30 pm:

My favorite Nintendo thing is probably Skyrim coming to Switch, making it portable for the first time. Can you imagine telling anyone in 2011 that they’ll be able to play Skyrim in a bus? “Yeah, maybe if you attach your desktop PC to your back”, they’d say. It’s amazing how technology is leaping forward these days.

• Jason Rechtman
    Jason Rechtman wrote on January 7, 2018 at 1:08 am:

Thanks for entering, everyone! The winner announcement will arrive Monday in our next episode.