Between coverage of Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, and the Wii U’s casual-oriented holiday season, you could say this episode of the Random Nintendo Podcast is a casual affair. The show begins with a slew of news, including a full breakdown of the latest Nintendo Direct and the Wii Mini’s stateside debut. We also look at the business side of Nintendo, analyzing the decision to market Wii U as a casual/family-friendly console, new comments by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, and the Wii U and 3DS’s October sales performance. We then circle back to the casual games that started it all with full impressions Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U.
This episode also marks our two-year anniversary and to celebrate, we’re giving away a $20 eShop credit! As longtime listeners of the show may know, Jason isn’t very good about beating his games. He plays them heavily, but rarely makes it to the end. It’s time to change that for at least one game. Leave a comment at the bottom of this post to tell us if you think Jason should beat Super Mario 3D World or The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and we will pick one commenter at random to win the $20 in eShop credit. The game with the most votes will be the one Jason has to beat during the remainder of 2013. We’ll announce the winner in our next episode, so make sure to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and follow us on Twitter @RandomNintendo so you don’t miss it. You may want to stick around, too: if Jason fails to beat the chosen game before the year ends, we will then be giving away a second $10 eShop credit to another commenter.
As always, we have included links below to all the news and games discussed in this episode. Each link also lists a time stamp, making it easy to find the segments of the show that most interest you. Enjoy!
- [0:02 - 0:46] Nintendo Direct 11.13.2013 (Nintendo.com)
- [0:47] Marth Confirmed For Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS (IGN)
- [0:53] Nintendo is bringing the Wii Mini to America for $99.99 (The Verge)
[1:03 - 1:29] Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing for the 74th Fiscal Term Ending March 2014 – Q & A (Nintendo Investor Relations)
- [1:10] Nintendo’s Family-Oriented Wii U Commercials: “The Pitch”, Super Mario 3D World, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (YouTube)
- [1:23] Ubisoft financials: Rayman Legends goes next-gen in February, first-half sales hit €293 million (VG247)
- [1:25] UK chart: COD Ghosts top, more copies sold on PS4 than Wii U (Eurogamer)
- [1:29] NPD: GTA 5, Pokemon Top US Sales (IGN)
- [1:42] Nintendo Holiday Mall Experience (Nintendo.com)
- [1:44] Wii U Game Lounge at Pottery Barn Teen (PBteen.com)
- [1:49] Wii Sports Club (Official Site)
- [2:03] Wii Fit U (Official Site)
- [0:19] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Official Site)
- [0:27] Bravely Default (Nintendo.com Game Page)
- [0:35] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (IGN Game Page)
- [0:37] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Giant Bomb Game Page)
- [0:38] Animal Crossing Plaza (Official Site)
- [0:43] Pikmin 3 (Official Site)
- [0:47] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS (Official Site)
Official Contest Rules: All registrants must be a resident of the United States of America and age 13 or older. The contest begins on November 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM PST and ends on November 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM PST. Visitors may only enter the contest once by leaving a comment below. Any additional entries that a given visitor makes will be disqualified. One (1) commenter will be chosen at random and receive the following prize: one (1) digital code redeemable for $20 in credit on the US Nintendo eShop. Random Nintendo staff members may not participate in this contest. Random Nintendo reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason. The winner will be chosen at random on November 30, 2013, announced in Episode 58 of the Random Nintendo Podcast, and then notified via email.