Sometimes Nintendo does things we don’t understand. Sometimes they may start shipping limited edition New Nintendo 3DS systems in Europe before even announcing a release. Other times they may let Shigeru Miyamoto tell F-Zero fans that a new version of the game will only exist if it’s given a new control scheme. And on special occasions, the company may make new hardware that’s shaped like a donut. In this episode of the Random Nintendo Podcast, we discuss all these things as we breakdown Miyamoto’s recent interview with Smosh Games, weigh in on both the New 3DS Ambassador Edition and the Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D Limited Edition bundle, and look towards the future with the latest rumors on Nintendo’s next hardware. Plus, we share impressions of the Wii U Virtual Console version of Duck Hunt and rhythmic fighter KickBeat, as well as revisit the controversial Metroid: Other M.
We want to know what you think, too! Share your thoughts in the comments below on any of the news or games discussed in the episode, or just on the show itself. If you like what you hear, feel free to also leave a review (and subscribe!) on iTunes and follow us on Twitter @RandomNintendo.
As always, we’ve included links below to all the news and games discussed in this episode. Each link also lists a time stamp so you can easily find the segments that most interest you. Enjoy!
- [0:02] Miyamoto on Smosh Games: “Nintendo’s Miyamoto Races Us in Mario Kart 8 DLC” (YouTube)
- [0:25] Puzzles & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition Coming to Nintendo 3DS (IGN)
- [0:33] New Nintendo 3DS comes to Europe as Ambassador Edition (Engadget)
- [0:35] Nintendo Will No Longer Sell Consoles or Games in Brazil (Kotaku)
- [0:38] Nintendo has seemingly discontinued the original 3DS (Destructoid)
- [0:40] The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D limited-edition bundle (Nintendo.com)
- [0:54] Super Smash Bros. amiibo of Samus and Fox officially discontinued at Target stores (The Tanooki)
- [0:58] New versions of classic games helped Nintendo rally in 2014 (Seattle Times)
- [1:02] These are the amazing ‘free-form’ displays that Nintendo may be using (The Verge)
- [1:08] AMD working on x86 or ARM chip for a “game console” to be introduced 2016 (GoNintendo)
- [1:15] Duck Hunt (Nintendo.com Game Page)
- [1:21] KickBeat – Special Edition (Official Site)
- [1:32] Metroid: Other M (Official Site)
- [0:03] Star Fox Wii U (IGN Game Page)
- [0:25] Puzzles & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition (IGN Game Page)
- [0:40] The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (Official Site)
- [0:47] Amiibo (Official Site)