Tournaments! YouTube replays! New DLC! Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS received a significant update, but is it enough to keep us hooked? In this episode of the Random Nintendo Podcast, we weigh the pros and cons to see if the new features can save us from Smash fatigue. We also discuss all the latest news, including Dragon Quest XI and its potential NX version, the delay of Mighty No. 9 (along with hands-on impressions of the game), and the next wave of amiibo. Plus, we share our takes on Pixels (spoiler alert: it’s not very good) and announce the winner of our Smash Bros. DLC bundle giveaway.
The end of one giveaway also means it’s time for another one to begin. Our Summer Giveaway Series continues with your chance to win a copy of Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition for Wii U! To enter, just leave a comment below telling us your favorite Mexican food – seriously, that’s it. You can also enter (or earn an additional entry) by following @RandomNintendo on Twitter and retweeting this tweet. Be sure to also subscribe to the podcast on iTunes so you don’t miss the announcement of our winner and a new giveaway in our next episode.
As always, we’ve included links below for more information on the games and news discussed in this episode. Each link also lists a time stamp so you can easily locate the segments that most interest you. Enjoy!
- [0:02] Fans Don’t Think Smash Bros.’ New Tournament Modes Are Good Enough (Kotaku)
- [0:19] K.K. Slider, King K. Rool Now Playable in Super Smash Bros. via New Costumes (Digital Trends)
- [0:31] Dragon Quest XI Announced For PlayStation 4, And Nintendo 3DS (Siliconera)
- [0:35] These Are the First Nintendo NX Games [Update] (Kotau)
- [0:39] Final Fantasy Explorers arriving west in January (Destructoid)
- [0:43] Mighty No. 9 officially delayed to 2016 (Polygon)
- [0:56] After Delay, The Legend of Zelda Wii U Now Listed as “TBD” (GameSpot)
- [1:00] Nintendo records best Q1 sales since 2012 thanks to Amiibo and Splatoon (The Verge)
- [1:07] New amiibo figures launching in September (Nintendo.com)
- [1:21] Movie Discussion: Pixels
- [0:02] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS (Official Site)
- [0:31] Dragon Quest XI (IGN Game Page)
- [0:39] Final Fantasy Explorers (IGN Game Page)
- [0:43] Mighty No. 9 (Official Site)
- [0:56] The Legend of Zelda Wii U (IGN Game Page)
Official Contest Rules: All registrants must be a resident of the United States of America and age 13 or older. The contest begins on August 9, 2015 at 12:00 AM PDT and ends on August 20, 2015 at 11:59 PM PDT. Visitors may enter the contest once by leaving a comment below. You can also enter the contest, or gain an additional entry, by retweeting a designated tweet posted by the @RandomNintendo Twitter account. One winner will be chosen at random and receive the following prize: one (1) eShop download code for the Wii U version of Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (MSRP: $14.99). Random Nintendo staff members may not participate in this contest. Random Nintendo reserves the right to disqualify any entry for any reason. The winner will be chosen at random on August 21, announced in Episode 105 of the Random Nintendo Podcast, and then notified via email or Twitter Direct Message.