It’s the middle of the night. You’ve been traipsing through the woods for hours trying to catch that elusive Tangela. All you have to show for it are six Weedle and a Venonat. You’re out of Pokeballs, you have no coins, and the nearest PokeStop is two miles back the way you came. You hear the low rumble of thunder off in the distance. You know what you must do. You know you have to turn back and go home, your Tangela dreams on pause. And while that vine-ball of a Pokemon may stay uncaught for now, you know there is one thing you still can catch: Episode 128 of the Random Nintendo Podcast.
Okay, maybe this isn’t the exact scenario of how you’re listening to us, but there couldn’t be a more fitting episode if it was as discuss the good and bad of Pokemon Go, plus what we want to see the app do next. We also revisit Nintendo’s other mobile app, Miitomo, to see what the company can do to bring it back to life. From there, we switch gears to Nintendo’s own platforms with thoughts on the latest Pokemon reveals for the 3DS’s Sun & Moon, the end of Splatoon’s Splatfests on Wii U, and reports of NX being a kid-centric console. We then wrap up the show with hands-on impressions of three E3 Nindie darlings – Severed, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, and Shantae: Half-Genie Hero – along with a revisit of the Phoenix Wright anime.
Have you had any crazy Pokemon Go adventures? Tell us in the comments below and we’ll share our favorites in a future episode. If you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play Music, or your podcasting app of choice. You can also want to follow us Twitter @RandomNintendo to stay in the loop on all site happenings.
As always, we’ve included links below for more information and the news and games discussed in this episode. Each link also lists a time stamp to easily locate the segments that most interest you. Enjoy!
- [0:02] Pokemon Go rockets to the top of the App Store — and it’s already making bank (VentureBeat)
- [0:09] Teen Plays Pokemon Go Outside, Finds Dead Body (Kotaku)
- [0:19] ‘Pokemon Go’ international rollout will be ‘paused’ as players overload the system (Business Insider)
- [0:39] New Miitomo Update Adds WhatsApp Support, Introduces “Star Accounts” For “Notable” Mii Characters (Nintendo Life)
- [0:45] Miitomo’s Potential! Yoshio Sakamoto and Shigesato Itoi (Miitomo.com)
- [0:48] The 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders – Q&A (Nintendo Investor Relations)
- [0:54] Nintendo hints at smartphone controller plans (Engadget)
- [0:57] Meet the seven new Pokémon in Pokémon Sun and Moon (Polygon)
- [1:05] Splatoon’s Final Splatfest Coming in July (IGN)
- [1:10] Nintendo NX may capitalize on “largely ignored” kids market – DFC (GamesIndustry.biz)
- [1:21] Trademark Listing Adds Fuel to Talk of Nintendo NX Using Cartridges (Nintendo Life)
- [1:27] Severed swipes from PS Vita to Wii U and 3DS (Polygon)
- [1:33] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack coming to North America on September 30 (Gematsu)
- [1:38] XSEED Publishing Retail Version of Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Nintendo News)
- [1:45] Manufacturing Issues Lead To Zero Time Dilemma Pre-Order Debacle (Kotaku)
- [1:48] Impressions: The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Anime
- [1:50] Chase: Cold Case Investigations Won’t Be A Distant Memory In North America (Siliconera)
- [0:02] Pokemon Go (Official Site)
- [0:39] Miitomo (Official Site)
- [0:57] Pokemon Sun & Moon (Official Site)
- [1:05] Splatoon (Official Site)
- [1:27] Severed (Official Site)
- [1:33] Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (Official Site)
- [1:38] Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Nintendo.com Game Page)
- [1:45] Zero Time Dilemma (Official Site)
- [1:50] Chase: Cold Case Investigations – Distant Memories