2017 may be just another year for most of us, but for Nintendo, it couldn’t be any more critical. It’s the year of the Switch and that means Nintendo will be making some pretty big moves. In this episode of the Random Nintendo Podcast, we cast our predictions for what to expect in the year ahead. We begin with the Switch itself, looking at the games and release strategies it’ll need to succeed (plus some fun Smash Bros. speculation for good measure!). We then turn to Nintendo’s growing role in the mobile space, discussing the sales performance of Super Mario Run and what it means for future pricing structures. From there, it’s the 3DS’s turn as we examine its expanding role as the budget system and how that’ll affect its lineup going forward. We then conclude with full impressions of one of Wii U’s final games, and our episode namesake, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero.
What are your predictions for Nintendo’s 2017? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to check back for our next episode featuring full coverage of Nintendo’s Switch Presentation 2017. To make sure you don’t miss it, you can subscribe to us on iTunes, Google Play Music, or your podcasting app of choice, as well as follow us on Twitter @RandomNintendo. Trust us, it’s going to be big!
Until then, we hope you enjoy this final round of Switch speculation. As always, we’ve included links below for more information on the news and games covered in this episode. Each link also includes a time stamp so you can easily locate the segments that most interest you.
- [0:03 -1:00] Predictions: Switch in 2017
- [0:05] What’s going on with Zelda: Breath of the Wild’s release date? (Eurogamer)
- [0:20] Nintendo Files New Trademark for Excite Truck (GoNintendo)
- [0:25] Rumor: Beyond Good & Evil 2 Switch exclusive for first 12 months, Rayman Legends Q2, Mario/Rabbids RPG name (Nintendo Everything)
- [0:29] Expect many Unreal Engine games to come to Nintetndo Switch, says Epic Games (VG247)
- [0:40] Rime Re-Revealed for PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Nintendo Switch (IGN)
- [0:43] Discussion: Smash Bros. on Switch
- [1:01 - 1:20] Predictions: Nintendo on Mobile in 2017
- [1:01] Super Mario Run Brings in $30 Million From 90 Million Downloads – Report (GameSpot)
- [1:14] Many, many more Nintendo apps for iOS are on the way (BGR)
- [1:21-1:34] Predictions: 3DS in 2017
- [1:24] Yoshi’s Woolly World to get update for Yarn Poochy amiibo; 3DS version details + screens (Perfectly Nintendo)
- [1:33] Crashmo World Apparently Was In Development For the Nintendo Wii U (Siliconera)
- [1:35] Shantae; Half-Genie Hero (WayForward.com Game Page)
- [0:05] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Official Site)
- [0:11] Splatoon for Nintendo Switch (IGN Game Page)
- [0:25] Rayman Legends (Official Site)
- [0:40] Rime (Official Site)
- [0:43] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS (Official Site)
- [1:01] Super Mario Run (Official Site)
- [1:24] Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World (Official Site)